November 19, 1927 - September 1, 2019
Morris M. Van Gorden
Beloved husband of the late Norma Van Gorden for 49 years. Loving father of Martin (Stevie), Roger (Nancy), Tim (Susan) and Jay (Marie) Van Gorden. Dear grandfather of Traci, Abbey (Tim), Zack (Amanda), Jason (Liz), Erin, Ben (Taylor), Kari, and great grandfather of Molly, Sally, Daniel, Joshua, Sadie. Liam, Katie, Jake, Cael, Jon, and Garret. Preceded in death by sister, Margie Ann Rosselot, and parents, Benjamin and Naomi Van Gorden. Passed away Sunday, September 1, 2019 at age 91. Visitation will be held on Thursday, September 5, 2019, at Bethany United Methodist Church, 6388 Cincinnati Dayton Rd, Liberty Township, OH 45044, from 4-7 PM. Visitation will also be held at the church on Friday, September 6, 2019, from 10 AM until time of funeral service at 11 AM. Burial will follow at Spring Hill Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Butler Co. Farm Bureau Scholarship Fund, 2273 Millville Oxford Rd., Hamilton, OH 45013.
Morris M. Van Gorden
- Butler county 4-H leader for 32 years
- Butler county Agricultural Society (Fair Board) 1970 to 2009. President of the Board 1992 to 2009
- Liberty Township Trustee for 13 years
- Butler County Farm Bureau board member for 10 years, two of which he served as Board President.
- Served on the State Farm Bureau board for 12 years.
- Butler County Landmark Co-Op for 12 years.
- Served on the Butler County Soil Conservation Board.
- Served on the State Dairy Herd Improvement (DHIA) board when it was organized in 1970 and served as President for the 6 years he was on the board.
- District 15 Holstein Board for several years
- State Holstein Board for 16 years, two of which he served as Board President.
- National Beef Board, representing the dairy industry for 6 years when they started the Beef Check-off advertising.
- Member of the Southern Ohio Draft Horse Association
- Long Standing Member of the Bethany United Methodist church, he served on the Board for a few years.
- Served on the Butler County Sherriff Office Caisson Unit with his Horses. He was the driver of the Caisson from 2002 to 2014. He was immensely proud to be a part of the unit who escorted Fire, Police and Military personnel to their final resting place.
RECOGNITIONS AND AWARDS:
- 1979 – Inducted to The Ohio State University Dairy Science Hall of Service Award.
- 1982 – The Butler County Soil Conservation Good Year Award.
- 1989 - The Butler County Extension Service Edwin Zorn Memorial Award.
- 1991 – Elected a Member of The Pioneer Family Society. Whose residence in Butler County has been established to the year 1814.
- 2000 – The Butler County Farm Bureau Friend of Agriculture Award.
- 2001 – Buckeye Breed Builder Award. Senior Division Ohio Holstein Association.
- 2001 – Distinguished Service Award Ohio Holstein Association.
- 2004 – Friends of 4-H Award Butler County.
- 2005 – Inducted to The Ohio Fair Manager Hall of Fame.
- 2010 – Century Farm Recognition.
- 2018 – Butler County Fairgrounds Cattle Arena Named the “Morris Van Gorden Show Arena”.